Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Working with what is around



The reason I work with the media I do is because it is what is around, it is free, and it is usually thought of as trash. I absolutely look crazy picking up stuff from the side of the road, in gutters, on railroad trax, but I am recycling and picking up trash when gathering my art supplies. We all win when I look insane. The only non-found stuff in my work is the foil and adhesives, which I can get in most cities.

I was in Chicago, my hometown, visiting for an extended amount of time. I was expecting I could just quit Art cold turkey for a couple of months, and I was wrong. My father builds things, so I had access to wood. My parents enjoy the wine (which, thank Bowie, because visiting is made much easier on the grape!), so there were plenty of bottles, and I admit to breaking these on purpose for Art's sake. I do not normally break glass, as there is always plenty around, however, They live in the suburbs, so there isn't much to find around their home. In addition, there was a large broken vintage blue Mason jar in the garage. Anyway, these two pieces were created with wine bottles, a vermouth bottle, a Mason jar and some old nail polish my sister left when she moved out years ago to make the flowers pearlescent. Beads at center were from a bracelet one of my nieces broke.

The imagery isn't ground breaking or exciting; I had to get my yayas out, in the parlance of some time. Maybe it was all of the Monets at the AIC.

No comments:

Post a Comment