Friday, February 5, 2010

Water



I started this whole gilded glass collagescape thing I do because I liked the way blue windshield glass glittered in the gutters of inner SE industrial Portland. (Now, it is all clean and Starbucks laden, so no more glass!) I was thinking about how, exactly, one would create the shine in a piece of art, and I lost a rhinestone from a button, saw the foil on the back, and my process was born. Well, first I had to deal with the trials and tribulations of learning to gild tiny little pieces of glass.

I like the blue glass very much, as when gilded with silver, it has the appearance of water. These two pieces are my attempt at capturing the serenity of backyard koi and lily ponds, like Phil's in Pendleton. The fish are made of thicker glass, gilded in copper, and the water has mirror thrown in for light and movement. The water lily pads are made of beer bottle glass, and the flowers are gold pigment painted clear glass.

Ponds are 24" X 36", gilded glass on wood.

No comments:

Post a Comment