Thursday, February 4, 2010

More of new flowers series




I've worked with flowers in the past, and will post photos of what those pieces looked like for comparison later this week. The new pieces feel more like candid photos, where as the older work looked like staged portraits. The new stuff is more organic, and not only because I am using various pieces of wood as the stems. There is more than one type of flower on each piece, I am no longer pathologically afraid of negative space, and I am making work purely to make myself squeal with delight.

This particular one is charming to me. The flowers are constructed from beads, broken pieces of vintage jewelry, windshield glass, sea glass and a broken beer bottle make up the leaves. Lately, I've been fascinated with things of all white, thus, the all white pearl flower. I am always happy when I create a flower that looks probable but does not exist in nature. I really dig the red sticks; I don't remember where I found those.

This is 7" X 7". Like a record, baby.

1 comment: